Postfix , Dovecot & the Spam fight

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Feb 9 21:33:58 UTC 2015

Am 09.02.2015 um 22:29 schrieb Leander Schäfer:
> I'm currently busy with a substiution of my current mail server. I'm
> currently using
>
>   * Clam-SMTP and
>   * SpamAssassin
>
> to fight Spam. I wonder if it is worth implementing AmaViS with
> SpamAssassin backend instead and also using AmaViS to speak to clamd
> directly. But I more and more wonder wether AmaViS is even worth it?! It
> currently looks to me as if AmaViS is eating LOTS of ressources and it
> is very uncomfortable for automated installations if you have to do
> dynamic batch changes on the AmaViS configs - sed(1) is your friend but
> this hectic escaping and workarrounds is really not sustainable to
> maintain.
>
> So my question is: Does AmaViS have any advantages compared to the
> current setup? I don't seem to find lots of qualified discussions for
> this on the net. The AmaViS related articles I found are freaking old.
> Would be nice the get your best practice as a change

i don't see advantages but issues if you ask something on the SA list
and finally find out that amavis handles configurations different

ressource usage is mostly the same, amavis is only the glue
the hard work is done anyways by spamassassin and clamav

for both milters exists so you can reject spam instead only flag and
deliver or even more worse silently discard it - not a real problem with
postscreen and RBL scroing in front, happy running here since 2014/08
with zero load even at peaks of 400 junk attempts per minute

smtpd_milters = unix:/run/spamass-milter/spamass-milter.sock,
unix:/run/clamav-milter/clamav-milter.socket