UID changes every few seconds

Adam Przybylski adam.przybylski89 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 11:04:03 UTC 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to use Gmail-style conversation view, as described in
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Virtual#Examples
>From a client based on Roundcube Framework I'm fetching message list from
"virtual/INBOX" folder and that works fine to some degree, but the problem
is that every few seconds or so (probably when new message is delivered or
bounced on the mail server) UID of those messages changes. When I'm trying
to display the details of given message (fetch body by UID), I'm getting an
error because message with given UID do not exist on the server. When I
only refresh the list (fetch messages one more time) and compare UIDs of
the same messages between fetches, there are completely different numbers -
growing every fetch.
When I switch from virtual folder to real INBOX everything works fine, UID
stays unchanged over time. Is this the intended behavior for virtual
folders or some kind of bug? Or am I doing something wrong?

I'm using Dovecot 2.1.7 on Debian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy). The output of
dovecot -n is attached.

Thanks in advance,
Adam