SOLR 5

Diego Liziero diegoliz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 15:14:44 UTC 2015

On Sat, Feb 28, 2015 at 8:17 PM, Robert Gierzinger <robert.gierzinger at hpc.at
> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to give SOLR 5 a try, however there probably have changed
> quite some bits in the config files, did not even manage to create a core
> with various solrconfig.xml and schema.xml files, but I am absolutely no
> expert in solr.
> Has anybody given it a try or are there some tips on how to get it running?
>
> regards,
> Robert

Using solr-5.0.0 with a single core here, the last one I managed to get
working with dovecot 1.1.18.

Starting from 5.1.0 solr changed behaviour and complains with "Bad
contentType for search handler :text/xml" (I've tried to change dovecot
header requests to "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" but I got a "missing
content stream" error).

Here some further steps I did to get it working, not sure if it's the
correct way of doing it, though (but I'm sure that someone will correct me
where I'm wrong).

I've created a new folder server/solr/dovecot/ with a file core.properties
and two subdirs: data and conf.

My core.properties contains these four lines:
name=dovecot
config=solrconfig.xml
schema=schema.xml
dataDir=data

in the server/solr/dovecot/conf dir I initially copied the content of one
of the sample dirs (server/solr/configsets/basic_configs/conf) and then I
copied as schema.xml the solr-schema.xml from dovecot install.

This changes the main url path of solr, so I had to point dovecot config to
http://localhost:8983/solr/dovecot/ and the crontab became:
# solr
0 0 * * *    curl http://localhost:8983/solr/dovecot/update?optimize=true
*/10 * * * *    curl http://localhost:8983/solr/dovecot/update?commit=true
&>/dev/null

If someone knows how to keep the usual main "http://localhost:8983/solr/"
url with solr-5, please let me know how to do it.

In bin/init.d/solr there is an init.d script with some comments to get it
correctly configured and some pointer to the other config steps (such as
create a solr user, edit conf/solr.in.sh for other environment variables,
and so on).

Regards,
Diego.