Outlook 2013 not fetching new mail/synchronization issues

Dragos Pacher dragos.pacher at apexgroup.ro
Mon Jun 29 10:08:45 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Dovecot 2.2.10 CentOS 6 64 bit.

We are having terrible synchronization issues with Outlook 2013 (all
updates) on Windows 7 SP1 and 8.1 hosts (all updates).

Scenario:

1.       Emails were sent since user closed Outlook

2.       Next day: start computer, open outlook

3.       No new email (even though email were sent overnight)

4.       half a day later Outlook fetches emails like nothing happened

Second issue: folders created or email send in Outlook 2013 does not
synchronize on IMAP, they remain only local ..

But I am mostly interested into finding a fix for the first synchronization
issue described in scenario. Second is also important

but I have a feeling its connected to the first.

Any help will be highly appreciated!

dovecot.conf

listen = *

#base_dir = /var/run/dovecot

# Enabled mail protocols.

#protocols = pop3 imap sieve

protocols = pop3 imap

# User/group who owns the message files:

mail_uid = 89

mail_gid = 89

# Assign uid to virtual users.

first_valid_uid = 89

last_valid_uid = 89

mail_max_userip_connections = 200

default_client_limit = 3000

namespace inbox {

  separator = .

  prefix = INBOX.

  inbox = yes

  # These mailboxes are widely used and could perhaps be created
automatically:

  mailbox Drafts {

    special_use = \Drafts

  }

  mailbox Junk {

    special_use = \Junk

  }

  mailbox Trash {

    special_use = \Trash

  }

  # For \Sent mailboxes there are two widely used names. We'll mark both of

  # them as \Sent. User typically deletes one of them if duplicates are
created.

  mailbox Sent {

    special_use = \Sent

  }

  mailbox "Sent Messages" {

    special_use = \Sent

  }

}

# Logging. Reference: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Logging

log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log

mail_debug = no

auth_verbose = no

auth_debug = no

auth_debug_passwords = no

auth_verbose_passwords = no

auth_worker_max_count = 2048

# SSL: Global settings.

# Refer to wiki site for per protocol, ip, server name SSL settings:

# http://wiki2.dovecot.org/SSL/DovecotConfiguration

ssl = yes

verbose_ssl = no

ssl_ca = </etc/ssl/savvy.cz-CA.pem

ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/savvy.cz.crt

ssl_key = </etc/ssl/savvy.cz.key

disable_plaintext_auth = no

# Mail location and mailbox format.

#mail_location = maildir:/%Lh/Maildir/:INDEX=/%Lh/Maildir/

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=/home/dovecotindex/%Lh/Maildir/

# Authentication related settings.

# Append this domain name if client gives empty realm.

auth_default_realm =

# Authentication mechanisms.

auth_mechanisms = PLAIN LOGIN

service imap-login {

    client_limit = 3024

    process_limit = 2048

    process_min_avail = 64

    vsz_limit = 64 M

}

service auth {

    client_limit = 3072

    unix_listener auth-userdb {

    }

    inet_listener {

                port = 12345

    }

}

service imap {

  vsz_limit = 256M

  # Max. number of IMAP processes (connections)

  process_limit =  2048

#imap_idle_notify_interval = 2 mins

}

service pop3 {

  # Max. number of POP3 processes (connections)

  process_limit = 1024

}

# Virtual mail accounts.

userdb {

    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-mysql.conf

    driver = sql

}

passdb {

    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-mysql.conf

    driver = sql

}

plugin {

    auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master

    # Plugin: autocreate. Create and subscribe to default IMAP folders.

    autocreate = INBOX

    autocreate2 = Sent

    autocreate3 = Trash

    autocreate4 = Drafts

    autocreate5 = Junk

    autosubscribe = INBOX

    autosubscribe2 = Sent

    autosubscribe3 = Trash

    autosubscribe4 = Drafts

    autosubscribe5 = Junk

    # Plugin: expire.

    expire = Trash 7 Trash/* 7 Junk 30

    expire_dict = proxy::expire

    # Pigeonhole managesieve service.

    # Reference: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/Sieve/Configuration

    # Per-user sieve settings.

    sieve_dir = /%Lh/sieve

    sieve = /%Lh/sieve/dovecot.sieve

    # Global sieve settings.

    sieve_global_dir = /home/vpopmail/sieve

    sieve_global_path = /home/vpopmail/sieve/dovecot.sieve

    #sieve_before =

    #sieve_after =

}

service dict {

    unix_listener dict {

    #    mode = 0660

    #    user = vmail

    #    group = vmail

    }

}

protocol lda {

    # Reference: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LDA

    #mail_plugins = quota sieve autocreate

    #auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master

    #log_path = /var/log/sieve.log

    #lda_mailbox_autocreate = yes

    #postmaster_address = root

}

protocol imap {

    mail_max_userip_connections = 2048

    imap_client_workarounds = tb-extra-mailbox-sep

    #mail_plugins = quota imap_quota autocreate

    #mail_plugins = autocreate

}

protocol pop3 {

    #mail_plugins = quota

    pop3_uidl_format = UID%u-%v

    pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh

}

Regards,

Pacher Dragos