autoexpunge clarification

Michael Fox news at mefox.org
Wed Aug 31 15:44:12 UTC 2016

Thanks Philon,

I did read the extra bullets, as indicated in my email below.  But your "When the user quits and thus closes his mailbox/connection" is more clear than "after the client is already disconnected", since the latter is really anytime, rather than at the time they quit.

I can guess that the bulletin about LMTP similarly means at the end of each time LMTP delivers mail to the mailbox.

Assuming that is true, then the problem I see with autoexpunge is that it doesn't address the case of a user that has not logged in nor received mail in that mailbox for the specified time.  Those messages would apparently stay forever.  Correct?

And, if that's true, then the cron job seems like the only way to expunge all old messages.  Correct?

Thanks,
Michael