Question on setting up dovecot

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 23:58:21 UTC 2016

Jeffery Small writes:

> There are no errors.  We have a pop3 connection.  The user's name,
> uid, gid, password, home directory are all correct.  The inbox is
> listed as /var/mail/sherril which is correct, and this file has the
> correct ownership and permissions:
>
> # ls -l /var/mail/sherril
> -rw-rw---- 1 sherril mail 194900 Feb 11 09:00 /var/mail/sherril
>
> Yet, no mail is pulled over.  Are there any clues here?

OK, the next step might be to try talk POP3 directly to your dovecot
server, and see if it responds to some common POP3 requests.  You might
have to use one of

 	telnet server 110
 	nc server 110 (or "ncat" or "netcat")
 	openssl s_client -connect server:995 (if using SSL)

then test with these commands

 	USER someuser
 	PASS their-password

 	(Should list messages and their sizes)
 	LIST

 	(Should list messages and their UIDLs)
 	UIDL

 	(Retrieve the first message)
 	RETR 1

 	QUIT

If these work, then I would look at the client.  If not, check the
logs why it failed.

> Feb 11 08:47:49 pop3(sherril): Info: Disconnected: Logged out top=0/0, \
> 		retr=0/0, del=0/3, size=36928

If I read this right, the client never tried to download any messages (no
top, no retr).  Maybe the client downloaded the UIDLs and figured it
already had local copies of those messages.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>