doveadm sending invalid AUTHENTICATE to uw-imap

Chris Candreva chris at westnet.com
Wed Feb 8 21:56:09 UTC 2023

And Stephan Bosch <stephan at rename-it.nl> wrote:

> Can you make a protocol log (tcp dump of commands sent by client and
> replies sent by server) for one of these sessions? e.g. using ngrep if
> connections aren't secured.

I was using imaps initially. Switching to imap over port 143 to do the
tcpdump had the side effect of switching to LOGIN authentication,
evidently uw-imap is sending different capability strings. It still
doesn't work though. Both from the error and the dump I can tell "doveadm"
is sending the user's id only without the "*masteruser" and the
master user password.

Plain connection banner:
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 I18NLEVEL=1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS
STARTTLS] foo.com IMAP4rev1 2007e.404 at Wed, 8 Feb 2023 16:45:22
-0500 (EST)

SSL Banner on 993:
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 I18NLEVEL=1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS
AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] foo.com IMAP4rev1 2007e.404 at Wed, 8 Feb 2023
16:53:36 -0500 (EST)

--
---