Get correct subjects in summary but wrong article body after transitioning between servers

Steinar Bang sb at dod.no
Sun Feb 19 16:23:26 UTC 2023

>> I am transitioning between servers (both debian 11.6 with dovecot
>> 2.3.13) and I'm seeing some strange behaviour after the transition: it
>> seems like dovecot is listing the correct subject for the test messages
>> I'm sending in what's shown in my MUA's summary.

>> But the body of the message is an old message.

> The problem wasn't in dovecot.

> The problem was in my MUA (gnus).

No it wasn't.

The problem was that I forgot to remove a cronjob
 0 5 * * * rsync -4 --archive --delete oldserver.mydomain.no:Maildir .

So that job faithfully restored the maildir on the new server every
night to the February 6 state on my old server.

8 days of email lost forever, and noone to blame but myself.

Oh well!