Why does doveadm always run doveconf?

Bert Van de Poel bert at bhack.net
Sat Jan 21 13:28:16 UTC 2023

Thanks for your reply and the follow-up link that came afterwards. From
https://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2020-August/119644.html I do get
the impression that this behaviour is undesired and that it's actually a
Dovecot bug to confound client and server SSL settings. I'm however not
sure if the person who remarks that is actually just stating his opinion
or the view of the project. However, the term "workaround" does further
imply that this situation is not as intended. I would normally file a
bug in a bug tracker for this (so it can at least be discussed and
easily found), but it seems Dovecot doesn't have one. Is that correct?

I had hoped I had found a cleaner workaround (that could even become a
default suggestion) by moving ssl_cert and ssl_key into "protocol imap
{}" but it seems that even that gets evaluated when running doveadm. Is
the situation literally that doveadm is parsing all configuration even
if it's irrelevant for its use?

The version of Dovecot I'm running, 2.3.13, dates from well after when
this error was reported in August 2020. This has me concerned that this
bug is an "accepted defect", "intended behaviour" or has just been lost
in discussion and due to the lack of a bug tracker. So I'm not quite
sure how to continue from here. I could of course use the "!include_try"
hack, but that can't be the suggested method, and if it is, it should be
explicitly mentioned in the documentation and config examples in my
opinion.