IMAP tuning for Outlook 365

Paul Kudla paul at scom.ca
Tue Jan 31 16:14:32 UTC 2023

Ok sorry to NOT have an answer you are looking for but I don't want
anyone wasting their time on what is clearly a microsoft issue.

Outlook 365 / Outlook since 2010 simply does not support imap.

You can tweek it here and there however here are the basic's

Outlook IMAP does not support IDLE thus no auto upating of the inbox and
other folder changes etc...

Outlook (this if from experience) simply does not handle large anything
folders well, especially imap - hence the click at the bottom of a
folder to see more (ie history) ??

I had a customer spending 700+ / mth to telus because people were
leaving emails behind (out of sight out of mind)

yes that was per month !

that being said the best you can do with outlook is set to auto update
the send/receive settings to every 5 minutes or so

A 3G email box is an issue no matter what as the size is the direct
issue of the lockups, and/or the quantity of emails in the folder

Outlook seems to work ok until about 200 emails (max 1000) in a folder
and maybe 1G of actual data.

Yes you can move emails to other folders, but the folder will still try
to sync in the background and will eventually lock up pending the size.

I use thunderbird and although it has its short commings, it handles
large email boxes extremely well, handles IMAP IDLE protocol

other imap clients (apple ios mail - iphone, windows mail - the free one
(suprised me) )

I am running 26G of email, 150+ folders etc etc (some folders aproach
10000 emails - archived stuff) and no real issues on a replicated
dovecot 2.3.19 server setup.

What needs to be kept in mind is that Microsoft (espically 365) is
trying to push exchange protcol and has all but dropped support for IMAP.

Again open to comments but i recently was forced to use Outlook (Office
365) for a customer and ran into all of these issues yet again, i am
weeding them off of Outlook in favor of thunderbird.

FYI

Happy Tuesday !!!
Thanks - paul

Paul Kudla