Setting up the mail-crypt plugin with virtual accounts that have no home directories

Sat Mar 4 14:12:10 UTC 2023

Hi again,

I was able to solve both questions. I was overthinking things.

A solution to the first question about mail_attribute_dict was simply to use other available variables to point to the virtual user's maildir paths. Like so: /var/mail/%d/%u/dovecot-attributes

As for the second question:
When I asked it, I was uncertain if dovecot would be able to cope with a hashed password for userdb_mail_crypt_private_password. I somehow believed dovecot required a plain text password there, as per the '%w' in the example password_query. Turns out this was not the case. Simply providing the already hashed password of the password field did the trick. So:

  password_query = SELECT \
  email as user, password, \
  password AS userdb_mail_crypt_private_password \
  FROM virtual_users WHERE email='%u';

Hope this is of help to others if they stumble upon this question.