Winbind auhentication

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Fri Mar 10 19:22:26 UTC 2023

> I'm trying to set up a dovecot server so that it authenticates local
> user via /etc/passwd (I'm on a Freebsd 13.1) and via winbindd for
> those that it cannot find localy. The samba suite is alive and well,
> postfix gets happily mail from domain users and saves it with
> correct name and permissions from the windows domain. If I try to
> authenticate a domain user via wbinfo it works, with dovecot it
> doesn't.  I guess I'v forgot something in the dovecot config... :)

I can't help you with your config, but I would *strongly* recommend
that you just make all your users virtual ones, and all using the same
backend.  Now you don't say if your local user account works or not,
but I'd work on getting just the AD part (really, you're using
windind?) first.

Also, have you compared your postfix and dovecot setups?  There are
good docs out there on how you combine them to use the same
authentication backend.

And the info you posted really don't help much, since you don't post
any log messages from when the authentication fails.  That will tell
you more I'm sure.

John