Postfix : root and system user authentication

jeremy ardley jeremy at ardley.org
Wed Mar 15 10:47:37 UTC 2023

On 15/3/23 18:32, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 1:46 AM Aymeric Agon-Rambosson
> <aymeric.agon at yandex.com> wrote:
>

>     Hello everyone,
>
>     From what I understand of the documentation, it is impossible to
>     log in to the dovecot server as root, or as any user not in the
>     interval between first_valid_uid and last_valid_uid.
>

> https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/authentication/master_users/

I understand the most common method of authentication used by dovecot is
pam.

Pam has no  problem with authenticating root.

Postfix uses dovecot (and hence pam) to authenticate users

If dovecot won't allow root users to access dovecot services directly
then that is a dovecot configuration separate from pam or any other
authentication method.

https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/authentication/pam/