[Dovecot] New mailbox format

Jakob Hirsch jh at plonk.de
Fri Sep 23 20:54:10 EEST 2005

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> I've been doing some thinking on a new better mailbox format that'd be
> faster than mbox and maildir for most common uses. Comments welcome.

Didn't read the details, but sounds good.
Only thing is: One reason I like dovecot is the support for an already
good format that's support by a lot of software: maildir. The main
reason I switched from Courier-IMAP was speed. Dovecot offers a good
compromise between speed and standard-compliance (if you'd call maildir
a standard). If speed was the most important thing for me, I'd use
Cyrus. Other people may like things like dbmail.
As long as Dovecot continues supporting the current formats, there's
nothing bad with introducing YAMF (TM) (yet another mailbox format), of
course. Only that the old ones will probably get less attention. And I'm
not sure if a new format will solve all maildir's problems, especially
since there are not much in practice (for me: none).