[Dovecot] sieve doesn't sift yet

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Sun Apr 27 10:46:33 EEST 2008

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 02:47:18 +0200, mouss <mouss at netoyen.net> wrote:

> what is the root of a maildir? it is often better to give examples
> instead of (ambiguous) descriptions.

Ah, sorry, thought it was obvious in the config output. At the moment, I am
using this, because this is the way I originally configured it when I set
up Postfix: /var/spool/vmail/colin
This is where I have my .dovecot.sieve, in conformance, I hope, with that
what is written in the wiki:

"If you do not define sieve variable and do not return it from extra field
then by default .dovecot.sieve file from user's mail directory will be
used. I.e. if user's maildir is /var/mail/virtualuser1 then user's sieve
configuration will be here: /var/mail/virtualuser1/.dovecot.sieve"

In my case, would that not be  /var/spool/vmail/colin, in which case I
shouldn't need to define under "plugins" in "sieve" in dovecot.conf ?

> Note that you need to deliver with "dovecot deliver" (postfix does not
> do sieve) and you need to enable sieve in your configuration (see the
> wiki for more).

Yes, I realize that postfix does not sieve. By "dovecot deliver", do you
mean lda? This is what I have in dovecot.conf:

protocol lda {
    postmaster_address = postmaster /at/ lim.nl
    # script_path = /var/spool/vmail/%n/.dovecot.sieve
    mail_plugin_dir = /usr/local/lib/dovecot/lda
    mail_plugins = cmusieve
    mail_debug = yes
    log_path = /var/log/dovecot-deliver
    info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-deliver
}

As I mentioned in my original post, I haven't seen anything written to
/var/log/dovecot-deliver, hence I can't figure out whether sieve is working
or not.

Thanks for your help.

--
  Colin Brace