[Dovecot] POP3 -ERR Authentication failed.

Tariq Ismail Dalvi tariq at dalvis.net
Mon Jun 22 03:22:32 EEST 2009

Hello guys

I am having problem of pop3 with my mail server I am using postfix-2.3.3
and Dovecot v1.0.7 when i telnet localhost or xyz.net i get following

[root at dalvis ~]# telnet mail.xyz.net 110
Connected to mail.xyz.net (
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Dovecot ready.
user johne at xyz.net
pass 768tidzx
-ERR Authentication failed.
Connection closed by foreign host.

and my maillog shows

Jun 21 19:25:20 localhost dovecot: pop3-login: Aborted login:
user=<johne at xyz.net>, method=PLAIN, rip=::ffff:,
lip=::ffff:, secured

my dovecot.conf is as follow:-

# Remove pop3 things if you don't want them
protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s

# It's nice to have separate log files for Dovecot. You could do this
# by changing syslog configuration also, but this is easier.
log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-info.log

# Disable SSL for now.
ssl_disable = yes
disable_plaintext_auth = no

# We're using Maildir format
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

# If you're using POP3, you'll need this:
pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv

# Optimizations:

# Authentication configuration:
auth_verbose = yes

auth default {
  mechanisms = plain
  passdb passwd-file {
    args = /etc/dovecot/passwd
  userdb static {
    args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/var/mail/vmail/%d/%u

I shall highly appreciate if anyone shall have a look at it and
let me know what i am doing wrong.

Thank you

Best regards.

Supports Team Leader