[Dovecot] Problems with ioloop on MacOS

David Abrahams dave at boostpro.com
Sun May 24 05:58:00 EEST 2009

I've been using the macports version of dovecot, which is 1.1.11, on
MacOS 10.5.6

  $ /opt/local/sbin/dovecot --exec-mail imap
  Fatal: kevent(EV_ADD, 0) failed: Operation not supported

This version is configured --with-ioloop=kqueue

The problem seems to be known, if not understood:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/Darwin-userlevel/2008/Dec/msg00010.html

However, if I use --with-ioloop=poll, I eventually get

  IMAP(dave): [9079]: invalid I/O fd 0, callback 0x9330

(not from the above command; it's a little later when Gnus tries to
interact with dovecot through the shell)

I've been unable to build/install any later versions of dovecot on
MacOS.  autogen.sh fails like this:

glibtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'.
glibtoolize: copying file `./ltmain.sh'
glibtoolize: Consider adding `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' to configure.in and
glibtoolize: rerunning glibtoolize, to keep the correct libtool macros in-tree.
glibtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.
configure.in:281: installing `./config.guess'
configure.in:282: required file `./config.rpath' not found
configure.in:281: installing `./config.sub'
configure.in:5: installing `./install-sh'
configure.in:5: installing `./missing'
src/auth/Makefile.am: installing `./depcomp'
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing