[Dovecot] restrictions on folder length?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Nov 25 19:46:07 EET 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-25 at 11:59 -0500, Brett Dikeman wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> After migrating a few dozen people to our departmental mailserver,
> we've run into a problem with one user who makes extensive use of
> folders and nesting them.  I've seen as many as 8 levels.  The longest
> resulting folder name is 113 characters, which results in a total path
> length of 137 characters (/var/spool/mail/******).

mbox or maildir? What OS? What filesystem?

> Their old mail server handled this fine, but dovecot is choking on it;
> imapsync reports "invalid mailbox name", and he gets the same error
> clicking on the mailboxes in Thunderbird (they seem to have been
> created, despite the error messages.)

Try talking IMAP protocol directly:

1 login user pass
2 create mailbox/name

Are you sure it's because of the mailbox name length? Maybe there's
something else wrong in the name?

The hardcoded mailbox length is 512 characters. With Maildir++ it's
typically 255 characters because of OS/filesystem limits.