[Dovecot] any limitations running on a Mac?

Bradley Giesbrecht bradley.giesbrecht at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 01:29:06 EET 2010

On Feb 25, 2010, at 2:17 PM, Terry Barnum wrote:

> I have postfix/dovecot/mysql installed using MacPorts on a quad-core
> 2.8GHz MacPro running Snow Leopard (10.6.2). I moved the base mail
> directory to a pair of 10k RPM Raptors that are mirrored (/Volumes/
> email/) and everything seems to be working fine on an unused domain
> with very little traffic. I used imapsync to pull everything from
> the current mailserver to this test server to play with.
>
> Our current mailserver's IMAP performance *really* suffers when an
> IMAP folder exceeds ~500MB or ~5k messages. I've become very tired
> of being the mailbox police trying to get my 20 users to delete
> email or divide into smaller mailboxes.
>
> Are there folks on the list running postfix/dovecot on similar Mac
> hardware that can share their experiences? Specifically, are there
> any limitations (file descriptors, other?) that can impact
> performance I should be aware of? How does dovecot on the Mac deal
> with >500GB maildirs?
>
> Is there a recommended tool for loading and testing the server?
> Postal?
>
> I have 20 IMAP users, with a total of ~37GB of mail currently.
>
> Thanks for any help and insight.

Mac OS X 10.5.8
dovecot 1.2.9
Two mirrored 7200rpm sata drives.
dbox mailbox format

My Inbox is 3.5G on disk and I'm happy with my performance.
Mail.app took 8 sec. to search my Inbox for "postfix" but caches mail.
Telnet imap login took 55 sec. for 'search text "postfix"'.
New mail notifications in Mail.app are near instant. I know your old
box fails here.

// Brad