[Dovecot] No rawlog with LDAP

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Sun Aug 24 01:56:14 EEST 2003

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 09:46:42PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Friday, Aug 22, 2003, at 09:08 Europe/Helsinki, Bob Hall wrote:
>
> >For an imap process opened under LDAP authentication, the output is
> >USER     CMD          PID   FD MOUNT      INUM MODE         SZ|DV R/W
> >postkont imap        5876   wd /          7961 drwx------     512  r
>
> Root directory? I'm not sure why it would be there.. It should be in
> /var/run/dovecot/ directory if home directory wasn't given.. Unless the
> home dir was root.

Then shouldn't it be in /root instead of /?

I mounted a linux proc file system. It doesn't have the pwd file that
you mentioned was present in a Linux OS, but it did have a status file.
In both cases, the UID number was the number associated with whatever
account was named in the IMAP login.
	1 login <account name> <password>
In neither case was it UID 0.

BTW, I've got to hand it to Torvalds; the Linux status file is cooler
than the BSD status file. Much easier to understand.

> >If I switch to passwd authentication, then I get two imap processes:
> >The working directory is now /usr, and there's a local stream that
> >wasn't present with LDAP.
>
> Even more strange, especially if it works. I don't think your home
> directory is /usr either?
>
> Maybe the "wd" is buggy? Or something else weird is going on..

I haven't a clue. It's all Finnish to me, Timo. :)
You're the one who knows what he's doing. I just follow orders.

Bob