[Dovecot] Repeating downloads

Brian T Glenn glenn-dovecot at delink.net
Thu Apr 8 06:09:57 EEST 2004

[You have top-posted your message. Please refrain from doing so on
technical mailing lists. It ruins the flow of the conversation as well
as making archive difficult to read]

[You have sent a personal reply to a mailing list message when it was
not warranted. Please keep replies on the list so that everyone can
benefit.]

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 04:27:01PM -0500, Paul Hanson may have written:
> On Wednesday, April 07, 2004 1:14 PM Brian T Glenn wrote:
> > That sounds about how POP3 works in my experience. How were you
> > expecting it to behave differently?
>
> Well the only problem is that if they receive a new message, not only do you
> get the new message but another copy of ALL messages on the server.  A
> scenario that I have not experienced with any other POP3 server/client
> setup. The correct behavior should be to only download the new message.

from doing a search on dovecot and uidl, it seems that dovecot supports
these functions, which is the standard way for a pop3 server to announce
unique checksums of messages. Whether or not your client software
supports this is another matter.

--
Brian T Glenn
delink.net Internet Services