[Dovecot] Dovecot for production environment

Avery Day schrock at dayzed.com
Fri Apr 9 03:21:52 EEST 2004

<quote who="Jared">
> I am running it in a production environment with about 500 users.  I
> wasn't particularly excited about running pre 1.0 pop3 imap server
> software but it had all the features I was after.
>
> I was looking for:
>
> - LDAP authentication
> - POP3, POP3S, IMAP, IMAPS
> - mbox support (simultaneous support for maildir is also nice since
> we'll hopefully migrate sometime soon.)
> - easy but powerful configuration
> - a nice responsive developer and support community
> - uw-imap compatibility (that's what we were running before)
> - written with security in mind
> - good documentation
> - open source and Free
>
> It's also nicely packaged for debian by the nice folks at
> braincells.com.
>
> I've been mostly happy.  Some things still feel a little fragile.
> We've had corrupted mboxes a few times, but I haven't had time to
> figure what is at fault.  I suppose certain pop clients could be the
> problem.  The LDAP authentication doesn't seem to work well with
> stunnel. Other than these few small blips, it's been running flawlessly
> for over 8 months.
>
> One other concern which worries me a little, is that the primary
> developer Timo seems to have gotten busy or uninterested recently.  He
> was clearly going above and beyond by responding to every question
> within minutes, but looking at the archives recently he is posting a
> lot less.  I just hope he's busy and not burned out because his work on
> dovecot is amazing.
>
> -jared
>

> On Apr 8, 2004, at 5:04 PM, Avery Day wrote:
>

>> Sorry if this question has been asked before I looked through some of
>> the
>> archives before posting this.
>>
>> I am considering using dovecot on a small 35 user environment (only
>> around
>> 6 gigs of email) that will be primarly be used with squirrelmail for
>> the
>> MUA. I have been using dovecot for a few weeks now and really like it.
>> It
>> is a big improvement over uw-imap thats for sure. I was wondering how
>> many
>> people in this mailing list are using dovecot for a production email
>> server, and why you chose to use dovecot over cyrus or courier. Or
>> maybe
>> someone feels that dovecot isnt ready for this type of thing just yet.
>> am all ears so please feel free.
>>
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Avery
>>

>> --
>> Avery Day

quote:
----------------
corrupted mboxes
Well thats not cool at all. I have been dealing with corrupt mailboxes for
the last year on our exchange server. Infact I will be migrating the
entire email system from exchange server to a
postfix+dovecot+spamassassin+procmail+mailfilter setup hopefully in the
next  month or two. But hearing about corrupt mailboxes sends shivers up
my spine. Infact I didn't think it was possible to have corruption or at
least next to impossible with a unix type mailbox systems.

--
Avery Day