[Dovecot] Envelope From changed - why?

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Tue Apr 27 23:39:46 EEST 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 04:25:06PM -0400, Amelia A Lewis wrote:

> So, fine, implement for case 1, and leave the others alone, right?  Well.
> A user could then reasonably ask "Why does my data change when I copy it
> from my ISP's machine to Uni's Cyrus server?  It doesn't change when I copy
> it from folder to folder on my ISP!"  I can't say that I much like the idea
> of a network protocol command that has enhancements to behave like a local
> file copy.

I think you're making way too much of this.  The question was just "why
is my existing "From_" line being altered when copying from one mbox
to another."  I say, why indeed.  In all the cases where it needs to be
fabricated, by all means, fabricate it.  Where it already exists in the
source and should also exist in the destination, try to preserve it.
That's all.

mm