[Dovecot] imap indexing error when moving multiple mails

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Apr 30 20:21:48 EEST 2004

On 30.4.2004, at 18:22, Olivier Tharan wrote:

> | Apr 30 17:17:32 munster pop3(zzzzzzz): Error indexing mbox file
> /var/mail/zzzzzzz: LF not found where expected
..
> A precision: /var/mail is a NFS filesystem (from a Netapp). The
> indexes are on a local disk.
>
> The same test on a box with a local spool (no NFS) does not
> trigger the errors. On both machines, this is dovecot-0.99.10.4
> from the FreeBSD ports.

mail_read_mmaped = no I guess?

Recently I've began wondering what exactly are NFS client's caching
rules. When exactly does it try to read the file from local cache and
when does it check that it's not changed in server? Maybe the only
answer to write fully NFS compatible code is to read the actual NFS
client implementations of most popular OSes :)

Of course, this might not be NFS-related bug at all even though it
triggers only with NFS. Anyway, I don't think I'll spend any time
wondering about it as mbox code will be rewritten anyway.