[Dovecot] static userdb

Tom Metro tmetro+dovecot at vl.com
Mon Aug 16 11:46:28 EEST 2004

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>>auth_userdb = static uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/var/mail/%d/%n/
>>Can mail= be used instead, as implied by the database documentation?
>
> There's not much point in having mail= there, because
> default_mail_env is exactly for that.

The obvious need would be in a mixed user scenario where
default_mail_env is being used to specify the mail location for the real
  UNIX account users, and 'static' is used for the virtual accounts. It
seems reasonable that the two settings might be different, and logical
for 'static' to provide the ability to supply an alternate template.

> I'd set the home directory in home= setting, then make the
> default_mail_env be something like maildir:%h if they're the same.

Good tip.

  -Tom