[Dovecot] SSL and STARTTLS

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Wed Jan 7 16:39:36 EET 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 07:05:55PM +0100, DINH Viet Hoa wrote:
> Mark E. Mallett wrote :
>
> > I wanted to enable SSL on some alternate ports so that a limited number
> > of people could try SSL access.  But doing so enabled STARTTLS in
> > IMAP, so that all IMAP users got surprised (at least those whose
> > clients attempted to use it automatically).
>
> Maybe, it is the role of the client to disable this automatic
> use of STARTTLS.

Yes, that is a restatement of the problem.  I think I wasn't
very clear though.  I want to enable imaps and pop3s on alternate
ports for a few people to test SSL access (and certificate
recognition et al), but disallow STARTTLS on the standard imap port
(not on the alternate port) so that all the users who are *not*
explicitly accessing the test imaps port do not get exposed to
the SSL stuff by accident.

mm