[Dovecot] Certificate Authority-signed certs in dovecot?

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at weiss.name
Fri Jan 16 18:44:11 EET 2004

Hi!

Sorry if this has been covered.  I've just started using dovecot and I've
searched via google and I've downloaded the maillist archives, but I haven't
found a solution.

I'm using Fedora Core 1, with dovecot-0.99.10-6.  When I'm at work, I access
my home mail server using Outlook Express (I know, I know, but it's the only
client I'm allowed to use at work).  Now, I'm able to get to my email, but I
get a warning popup box each time I connect to the server, that the
authenticity of the certificate can't be verified.  I'm assuming that that's
because I am using a self-signed certificate.

Now, I'm also using postfix, and it allows for me creating my own CA
certificate, and using it to sign my own certificates.  The
/etc/postfix/main.cf entries are:

smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/newreq.pem
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/newcert.pem
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/cacert.pem

but while I see the following two lines in /etc/dovecot.conf:

ssl_cert_file = /usr/share/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key_file = /usr/share/ssl/private/dovecot.pem

I don't see how to specify my CA cert.

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to openssl, but I've been able to
follow directions to get the TLS working in both postfix and dovecot.  I
just want to get rid of that annoying message.  I figure that there's a way
to sign my dovecot certs with the ca cert I've already created for postfix,
and tell dovecot about it somehow.  Has anybody done this?

Thanks!

Ben