[Dovecot] Migrating from UW: mbx detection and conversion

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Jan 29 22:51:56 EET 2004

Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Thursday, January 29, 2004 3:12 PM -0500 "Eric S. Johansson"
> <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
>

>>I'm faced with the exact same problem at a client site.  Unfortunately, all
>>you can do is use mbxcvt from the UW utilities kit to convert mbx->mbox then
>>use mb2md to finish the conversion to maildir.
>

> IIRC, the utils package was deprecated and most of it was rolled into the main
> UW-IMAP package. mailutil replaces mbxcvt and several other programs.

when did this happen?  I don't see it with 7.2 Red Hat of 8.0.

>>it sucks, it's horrible, it's really ugly but it's a side effect of the
>>politics of mailbox formats.  BUT dovecot is so wonderful it makes it all
>>worthwhile.
>

> That's what I'm hoping.

the additional benefit is a pleasant and helpful user community.  It's
probably because it isn't well known yet so let's hope that it remains a
relatively unpublicized treasure lest Timo turn into the second coming
of Mark Crispen.

>>I'm just hoping that Timo gets the mbox support fixed RSN.
>
> What's broken?

something to do with indexing.  I know I was triggering a bug which
caused huge amounts of CPU load every time you did anything with the
mailbox.  If you've got the energy, I'm sure he could use the help.  I'm
up to my eyeballs in antispam (camram) work.

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use.  Incorrect endings, words, and case is
closer than it appears