[Dovecot] Re: Timezone of logentries from dovecot (Timo Sirainen)

Lars Skovgaard lars at misterp.dk
Sun May 2 12:33:15 EEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 15:57, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> One more reason to make all logging go through dovecot-master process..
>
> Temporary fix of course is setting login_chroot = no to config file.

Thanks, Timo, that did the trick.

Also thanks to Quentin for his reply, though I don't understand any of
it. As stated, my knowledge of unix is rather limited...

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 15:48, Quentin Garnier wrote:

> It's because the logging process is chrooted, doesn't have TZ env. var.
> set, and doesn't have a correct /etc/localtime (or whatever your libc
> uses) _inside_ the chroot directory.  Therefore its timezone is the
> default, UTC (formerly known as GMT).

As I understand it, it would be a good idea to come up with a more
permanent fix. However, I have no idea where to begin. Timo writes
about making all logging go through the dovecot-master process – can
anyone point me in the direction of information on how to accomplish
this?

Quentin writes about TZ env. var. (TimeZone?), /etc/localtime and the
chroot directory. I'm sorry, Quentin, but I need a bit more info. I
have the correct /etc/localtime, as far as I can tell. I've tried
looking up TZ env. var. in my man-pages, but haven't come up with
anything. I'll copy my /etc/localtime to the login_dir and see if this
is enough.

Thanks again, guys!
/Lars