[Dovecot] feature request / question?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat May 22 05:36:15 EEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 06:14, James Moser wrote:
> Occasionally we get a user who decided they need to pop their account 3
> to 4 times a second... usually I just disable their account and shout
> "no!", but now I have someone trying to do it repeatedly with an invalid
> username  so I don't know who to spank. =)   Before if this happened I
> would block the IP and wait for someone to complain...  dovecot doesn't
> make that very easy, or at least I don't see how.
>
> May 20 20:12:29 mail05 dovecot-auth: mech-plain(jhurley at thegrid.net):
> invalid username

Currently login process doesn't tell the IP address to auth process, so
dovecot-auth doesn't even know the IP. I'll probably change this though.
The logging in general should be improved and made more configurable.

> No IP address, and we do not host thegrid.net.  There are no other
> messages or authetication errors being logged anywhere else either. It
> would be helpful to have dovecot display the IP address of failed
> authentications as well... it allready show's it for login's.

After those "invalid username" errors it shows a failed connect with IP
address. It's one of those..