[Dovecot] "important" flag

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat May 22 05:47:26 EEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 16:08, Rick Jones wrote:
> I'm wondering what I'd need to do to get the "important" flag set on an
> incoming message according to a pre-specified header.
>
> I know the problem of this not being a "joined-up" feature in standard
> email, but in practice many MUAs set headers like X-priority etc, and IMAP
> has an "important" flag that is the obvious mapping.
>
> I'm not really sure where would be the best place to try to put something
> like this. Should it be the delivery agent (qmail in my case), the IMAP
> server (i.e. Dovecot), or the MUA? To me the MUA doesn't make sense, as the
> flag should be set before any specific MUA even gets to the message.

LDA is the correct place. Dovecot LDA with Sieve support would make this
easy. Any voluenteers to write this? :) Shouldn't be too difficult using
libsieve.

> Since the flags are coded into the filenames when using maildir, is it
> possible for qmail to deliver a message with the flag included in the
> filename, and will Dovecot recognise it? If so I might try hacking qmail.

If the flag is in Dovecot's .customflags file you can hack qmail to
directly add the flag in the filename. Files in new/ directory shouldn't
actually contain flags (Dovecot's COPY works wrong here..), but Dovecot
supports them fine.