[Dovecot] dovecot immediately exits on Fedora 2

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Wed May 26 09:21:55 EEST 2004

I "upgraded" my server running UW-IMAP on Fedora 1,
to Fedora 2, which defaults to Dovecot.  Unfortunately,
the server refuses connecions from my client (Mozilla).

It seems that Dovecot immediately exits:
ps aux|grep dovecot shows nothing.
Also, if I manually start up dovecot, it immediately
exits, with no messages. (It does at least parse the
config file, since tweaking that gives me errors.)

What is surprising is that I haven't been able to "Google"
to find anone else reporting someting similar, so I'm
wonderring what makes my system unique.

I tried downloading, compiling and running the current UW-imap.
Mozilla is able to connect to it, and ask for a password,
but rejects the login.  Curious that we're getting two such
very different failure modes.

Help would be most appreciated; for now neither I nor others
who use my imap server can access our mail (except by directly
viewing the /var/spool/mail file).
--
	--Per Bothner