[Dovecot] Re: Small change to make dovecot pop3 uw-imapmigrationfriendly

Oleg I. Vdovikin oleg at cs.msu.su
Fri May 28 15:32:22 EEST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Candler" <B.Candler at pobox.com>
To: "Oleg I. Vdovikin" <oleg at cs.msu.su>
Cc: <dovecot at dovecot.org>
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 4:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Dovecot] Re: Small change to make dovecot pop3
uw-imapmigrationfriendly

> On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 03:55:03PM +0400, Oleg I. Vdovikin wrote:
> > > 1. major: a UID that any client may have seen _MUST NOT_ change.
> > >
> >     Right.
> >
> > > This means that a formatting string MUST ONLY have an impact on newly
> > > arriving mail.
> >     No, there is no need to store the exact formatting string with each
> > message.
>
> He did not say that the formatting string is stored with each message; but
> there is a requirement that the *UID string* is stored with each message.
    I mean UIDL string, not formatting string, sorry. But this does not
matter.

> i.e. changing the format string does not change the UIDs of existing
> messages; or put another way, the format string is only applied the first
> time that a new message is seen.
    IMAP UID is just a number. And it's appearence is fixed. It's not an
UIDL response. Right?

> Given that, you could apply *any* UID to messages when you import them,
and
> the format string will only affect subsequently-delivered messages.
    Just to clarify: there is no importing at all. Dovecot stores UID and
UIDVALIDITY internally and basically it's compatible with uw-imap. But the
UIDL command answers via POP3 is different. So, I need to be able specify
formatting string for the UIDL answer. This does not requires any changes
for old messages and for the new ones. I'm just want sit fixed at %08x%08x
format forever and do not want to switch to %u.%u used by dovecot...

Regards,
    Oleg.