[Dovecot] Resource temporarily unavailable?

Todd Burroughs todd at hostopia.com
Wed Aug 3 00:19:31 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Todd,
>
> I'm using Fedora Core 4. The problem seems to have gone away. Not sure what I
> did to fix it.
>
> I changed this:
>
> mechanisms = plain

I have this set as well.  I see this problem fairly often and it usually
resolves itself after a few minutes.

> I also put the user dovecot in the mail group. That might have fixed it.

I haven't tried that one...

> One thing I'd like to suggest is that this error would be better if it had
> more information about what resource wasn't available.

The error is EAGAIN caused from the socket() system call.

Looking at socket(7), I see this:

        It is possible to do non-blocking IO on sockets by setting
        the  O_NONBLOCK  flag  on  a  socket file descriptor using
        fcntl(2).  Then all operations that would block will (usu­
        ally)  return  with  EAGAIN  (operation  should be retried
        later); connect(2) will  return  EINPROGRESS  error.   The
        user  can  then  wait  for  various  events via poll(2) or
        select(2).

Near as I can tell, this is what it's supposed to mean, but the error
seems to be generated before the O_NONBLOCK gets set.