[Dovecot] Dieing?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Aug 7 18:26:13 EEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 19:08 -0400, Matt Juszczak wrote:
> Our dovecot process died out of no where today, with no sign of reasons
> why.
>
> I'm running a beta from a few weeks ago of 1.0 ... are there any security
> vulns I should know about that might have caused this crash (someone
> trying something?)

Do you mean the dovecot master process died completely? If there are
nothing in log files, I guess it crashed. It should have written a core
file though, and getting a gdb backtrace using it would help figuring
out the problem.

Or it might be just that someone killed it for some reason? For example
out-of-memory killer or whatever..

I don't know of any bugs in dovecot master code though. It handles very
little user input so I doubt there's a way for normal users to crash it.
More likely it was caused by some system state.