[Dovecot] directory names - have to begin with a dot?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Aug 7 19:11:55 EEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 18:58 +0300, Tom Alsberg wrote:
> > If you want to implement your 2) part, it needs quite a lot of changing
> > to code.
>
> Why?  I wasn't talking in (2) about mixing mbox and maildir...  All it
> requires, it seems, is for mailbox names not to begin with a dot, and
> to be able to map the IMAP root to a special specific folder...

Hmm. I guess I didn't then understand the question. It looked like a
mixed mbox/maildir tree. Mapping sounds like namespaces that Dovecot
already has:

        /               -> $HOME/mbox
        /INBOX          -> /var/spool/<username>
        /folder         -> $HOME/mail/folder
        /folder/foo     -> $HOME/mail/folder/foo
        /folder/bar     -> $HOME/mail/folder/bar
        /folder/foo/bar -> $HOME/mail/folder/foo/bar

There can't be a mailbox named "/" (or ""), so the first one couldn't
work? The others could probably be done using namespaces? Assuming
you're talking about only mboxes here, not maildirs.