[Dovecot] Re: Problem with dovecot and system crashing

Paul Vatta paulv at deakin.edu.au
Tue Aug 9 12:19:41 EEST 2005

We have experienced similar problems with version 0.99.11 that comes with Redhat
Enterprise Linux 4.

If I'm not wrong, it appears to be related to the number of file descripters
available to the dovecot user.  To abate the situation, we stop the service,
kill any remaining dovecot processes (some hang around), and then restart
dovecot.
Sometimes it appears that the limit of connection processes isn't honoured (as
defined in the conf file) so the number can spiral out of control.

I hope this helps in the absense of a workaround.

Let me know if there is an obvious configuration setting to remedy this.