[Dovecot] Mail disappearing

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Wed Aug 10 02:24:25 EEST 2005

bclements at io-networks.com wrote:
> Freebsd 4.10
> Filesystem is UFS2
> Generic P4 with 256 megs of ram
> The problems were discovered this morning by the president of a larger client.
> Logfiles do not show a thing
> This is a existing install from one or two years ago and it was not a migration.
>
> Brent
>
>>i don't know an answer to that, but imho it would make sense telling the
>>list here :
>>
>>- which OS+version you use
>>- which filesystem-type you use (yes, filesystem-probs can make files
>>  vanish is my experience)
>>- which kind of machine you use
>>- since when exactly did these problems occur
>>- do logfiles show any related messages
>>- did you migrate from e.g. courier and follow the migration-tips

Also - which storage format are you using?
mbox or Maildir?

 From memory, Timo spent AGES working subtle problems out of the mbox code
(which only added to the already numerous reasons I chose Maildir :)  I don't
remember clearly, but if you are using mbox, I can easily believe that one of
those bugs could possibly have caused mail loss.

Every time I think of mbox, I think about that "all your eggs in one basket"
phrase....

--
Curtis Maloney