[Dovecot] Mail disappearing

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Thu Aug 11 11:00:59 EEST 2005

On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 09:21:46AM +1000, Gregory Bond wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
>
> >Thus a folder called 'holidays' is actually a directory called
> >'INBOX.holidays' and a folder called 'holidays/france' is a directory
> >called 'INBOX.holidays.france'.  Why any sort of mail server would
> >want to construct a folder hierarchy like this I can never understand.
> >

> IMAP pretty much requires that you can find all the folder names pretty
> quickly.  Having folders stored like this means you can find all folders
> with a single directory scan, without having to walk a whole filesystem
> tree.

Hey, that's the first reasonably good reason I've come across for
doing it like this.  However it's only a reason for IMAP plus maildir
to do it, not a generic maildir reason.  I suppose it's again down to
the conflict between the requirements for a big dedicated multi-user
mail system (where the above may well be significant) and a small
single user or SoHo system (where the above will be totally
irrelevant).

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."