[Dovecot] Well, "Hard filesystem quota can also be problematic"

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 16 11:59:33 EEST 2005

On 16.8.2005, at 09:16, Jeroen Scheerder wrote:

> Apparently, v4 of the IMAP protocol has a QUOTA extension for this;
> it's reported as a CAPABILITY.  I think some of that is documented in
> [1].  Am I wrong in suspecting that this is a higly desirable, or even
> a required, piece of the puzzle?

I don't think it's exactly needed as few clients use it. But Dovecot
has a quota plugin available for it and it kind of works. Currently it
has implemented only one way to track quota though: just read all files
and sum their sizes. This should work fast enough with mboxes, but not
a good idea with maildir. Other implementations will come later..

Tomi has written something about how to use the quota plugin in
http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA