[Dovecot] Dovecot deliver - direct IMAP folder delivery.

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Tue Aug 16 17:37:28 EEST 2005

Tomi Hakala wrote:

>Marc Perkel wrote:
>

>Now you can find some at http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/LDA
>
>I'v been using deliver many months on test only system without
>problems and just started to use it on small mail host couple
>weeks ago, haven't got any problems there either.

Good job of documenting it too.

I'm using Exim for my MTA. I set up a trick to deliver directly to IMAP
folders by using a "-" to separate the name from the folder.

user-folder at domain.com

This delivers to user at domain.com and puts it in the IMAP "folder" for
that user. The folder has to already exists for this to work. It's very
popular with my users too because it's like each folder has it's own
email address.

I suggest Dovecot support this idea, but it would need some
configuration settings. My choice of a single "-" for the delimiter
between user and folder probably wasn't the best choice. So the
delimiter needs to be setable.

deliver-delimiter = "-"

Then mail coming in as:

user[delimiter]folder at domain.com

is delivered to that folder.

This is a very powerful feature and I recommend it for dovecot.

Marc Perkel - marc at perkel.com

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
    My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com