[Dovecot] Sending email with IMAP instead of SMTP?

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 22:19:38 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 13:43 -0400, Jacob Elder wrote:
> Ever send a large attachment over a slow connection with an IMAP mail store?
> The message has to be sent twice, first via SMTP then to your Sent Messages
> folder. I've thought about writing a Postfix policy daemon to support this a
> different way, much like GMail's POP3/SMTP support.

Hmm...makes sense I guess, but I can't see it being easy to explain to
my customers (it was hard enough explaining what IMAP was ;)
Again it does depend on client support, most clients demand an SMTP
connection to send, and dumping a draft in an outbox just doesn't seem
right somehow.
There may be also a risk of duplicates and such which need to be
considered.
I think this is more a dovecot 1.1 or 2 feature still.

Regards
Andrew
--
Andrew Hutchings (A-Wing) - Linux Guru