[Dovecot] Dovecot Deliver?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Aug 17 17:02:56 EEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 03:04 +0200, Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> Tomi Hakala wrote:
>
> > Now you can find some at http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/LDA
>
> Looks very nice, thanks.
>
> But some questions remain:
> The LDA seems to need /var/run/dovecot/auth-master, which isn't provided
>  by default by dovecot. Do I need to change my dovecot.conf so that I
> have a "socket listen { master ... client }" part?

Only the master socket.

> Is this going into
> the "auth default" I already have or into a new auth section?

Inside auth default.

> dovecot-auth is running chrooted, will this interfere with the
> master/client concept, so I have to change the socket path to be in the
> chrooted directory?

The socket is created before chrooting (I'm pretty sure anyway :)

> And I wonder if this LDA is really a good way to go. I dumped maildrop
> to save the overhead of fork/exec for every message delivery, but
> deliver (after strip) is about double the size of maildrop. AFAIK, Cyrus
> uses LMTP for delivery, which does not have this downside.

That works only as long as all (or "most", with more code) users use the
same system UIDs. LMTP server is in my TODO list, but not before v1.0..

Anyway I think the benefit of having the mail immediately indexed is
overall greater than a bit of forking/initialization overhead.