[Dovecot] Lost transaction log file

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Aug 19 17:52:52 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 09:21 +0200, Brent Clark wrote:
> Hi list
>
> I seem to be getting quite a bit of this type of messages in my syslog.
>
> Aug 19 09:14:45 mail dovecot: IMAP(bclark): Lost transaction log file /home/bclark/Maildir/dovecot.index.log seq 4
> Aug 19 09:14:45 mail dovecot: IMAP(bclark): Lost transaction log file /home/bclark/Maildir/dovecot.index.log seq 4
>
> Would anyone know how I can go about fixing / understanding this.

What Dovecot version? I did some improvements to this which aren't in
dovecot-stable releases yet. They can still happen with 1.0-alphas, but
should be pretty rare. They mostly happen if there are multiple
connections to same mailbox and one of the connections wakes up after
idling for a long time while there have been modifications to the
mailbox.

I have "if log file is lost, generate it from old and new index" in
TODO, but it probably won't make it into 1.0 release unless it actually
becomes a common problem.

You could also change the rotation values from
src/lib-index/mail-transaction-log-private.h. The defaults are that
if .log file is larger than 128kB and it was created more than 5 minutes
ago, it's safe to be rotated.