[Dovecot] pop-before-smtp in SQL?

Lorens dovecot.fdop at tagged.lorens.org
Fri Aug 19 17:59:21 EEST 2005

I need pop-before-smtp (let's not discuss the advisability
of the method), but I'm annoyed at the inefficiency of the
classical perl script that parses the logs.

A long time ago I modified the perl to add the tuple (IP,
time) to an SQL table that the MTA looks at, and to clean up
periodically. I found that this was the best way to deal with
multiple servers that have to share an SQL database anyway.

Wouldn't it be quite trivial to make dovecot write to an SQL
table upon sucessful login, instead of all this log file parsing
by an additional daemon?