[Dovecot] lock file

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Aug 19 19:19:03 EEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 13:14 +0100, Obantec Support wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 Aug 2005 12:19 pm, Obantec Support wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > What is your question?
> >
> > Yes it is a lock file, by default (if you must use mbox) Dovecot overrides
> > them in 30s I believe.
> >
> > Either work out if it is genuine, and delete it if not.
> >
> > You only need to use dotlock locking if you are using NFS (or similar),
> and
> > using "mbox". Hopefully this only affects a small number of big mail
> servers,
> > and most of them would presumably switch to maildir when deploying dovecot
> > over NFS anyway.
> >

> Hi
>
> not using NFS. my question is what is it, why is it happening and how do i
> get my users mbox working again.
> as soon as i delete it it comes back with 1B contents 0

mbox.lock file is created when something starts modifying the mbox file.
It's deleted after the modification is finished. Are there some errors
in Dovecot's logs that would explain why it doesn't delete the lock
file? It should be removed in all other cases except if Dovecot crashes.
If it did crash, please get a gdb backtrace as explained in
http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html