[Dovecot] Dovecot deliver - direct IMAP folder delivery.

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Wed Aug 24 12:45:30 EEST 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Marc Perkel wrote:

> I'm using Exim for my MTA. I set up a trick to deliver directly to IMAP
> folders by using a "-" to separate the name from the folder.
>
> user-folder at domain.com

Sendmail has been using something called "detail" using the "plussed"
syntax for a long time: quote from cd/README:

"The local mailer accepts addresses of the form "user+detail", where
the "+detail" is not used for mailbox matching but is available
to certain local mail programs (in particular, see
FEATURE(`local_procmail')).  For example, "eric", "eric+sendmail", and
"eric+sww" all indicate the same user, but additional arguments <null>,
"sendmail", and "sww" may be provided for use in sorting mail."

It cuts the "+<<detail>>" part before delivering, but one can pass it
forth to the MDA/LDA, e.g.:

sensible-mda $g $u $h ${client_addr}

Here, the "$h" passes forth the detail (without the '+').
However, one can configure sendmail to keep the "+detail" part when
invoking the MDA.

Sendmail uses the detail itself, e.g. when doing alias expansion or
parsing the .forward files.

I would assume this should become an option for the dovecot-lda.

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser