[Dovecot] Success: MySQL Works on 0.99 But Not 1.0alpha

Tim Schaefer tim at datad.com
Sun Aug 28 23:18:24 EEST 2005

Well...

After an exhaustive reinstallation of MySQL, Apache, PHP, Cyrus-SASL,
Postfix, and god knows what else, and then  finally Dovecot, I simply
cannot get it to use either 1alpha or 1stable.  I tried since this
morning to get 1alpha or 1stable to work and it just won't work with MySQL.

Since the system isn't quite production yet, I even uninstalled MySQL
4.1.13 and then installed MySQL 4.1.14 from scratch, thinking maybe
there's something wrong with MySQL.  That didn't help, other than force
me to recompile all the other stuff I had compiled with the earlier
MySQL!  So, it was a great exersize in reinstallation of these other
components.  There may also be some kind of subtle difference to my
system since it's also a FreeVPS ( www.freevps.com ) virtual machine
instead of being a stand-alone system ( See also Linux-Vserv Project
www.linux-vserver.org ) but so far everything else I've thrown on this
system works like you would expect.

It is also important to note that 1alpha is different that 1stable and
both are completely different from 0.99-14.

Dovecot and MySQL works fine with .0.99-14, and that's good enough for
me--for now anyway.

I suspect there's some kind of auth default I'm missing such as what to
set the default_pass_scheme to, but again there's just not enough
information to know what to do.  I'll just have to hack until there's a
later release or somebody has a better doc to point to.

Thanks,

Tim