[Dovecot] Feature Request - wild idea - folders for executing programs

Gordon Tyler gordon at doxxx.net
Mon Aug 29 01:33:13 EEST 2005

Marc Perkel wrote:
> I have a wild idea for a feature that is somewhat unusual, would be very
> powerful, and easy to implement. What I want is ...
>
> Special folders that when someone drags a message into them - it pipes
> the message into a program.
>
> The reason I want this is - for example - reporting of spam. Suppose you

At the moment, I use the following method for my single user on my home
mail machine: cron.

Yep, every hour I have a local user cronjob which runs a script that
retrains Spamprobe with the messages in my spamprobe-isspam and
spamprobe-notspam folders (Maildirs) and then moves those messages to
either the Junk folder or the Inbox.

This may not be the best way to go about it (especially the moving of
message files between folders) but it works for me.

However, that said, I think your idea would be very useful with one
slight change/clarification:

> executable-folder spam-missed {
>  command = /usr/bin/sa-learn spam
>  user = spamd
>  group = spamd

For user and group I'd like to be able to specify that the owner of the
account (in my case, my user) should be the one executing the command,
since the Spamprobe database is local to my home directory.

Ciao,
Gordon