[Dovecot] Several issues with 1.0-stable

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Mar 3 19:52:49 EET 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-02 at 12:15 +0100, Remy Zandwijk wrote:
> -	When stopping Dovecot with: kill -TERM `cat /var/run/dovecot/master.pid`,
> 	the 'dovecot' process itself dies, the 'imap-login' processes die, but the
> 'imap'
> 	processes (there are a lot of them) don't die, but become a zombie. I
> think the
> 	way I stop Dovecot is the way to do it. The zombies can be killed by doing a
> 	'pkill -9 imap', but that's not quite elegant.

You probably don't mean real zombies (which would mean their parent
process is still alive) but that they're left there and not killed?

This is intended behavior, because they keep still keep serving the
client until the connection is closed. If you really want to kill them
all, for now you'll have to do it manually.

> -	Dovecot is running in a Solaris 9 environment. It turned out that Dovecot
> crashes
> 	when more then 256 filedescriptors are being used. This is rather normal,
> since
> 	Solaris only support 256 descriptors per 32-bit process. After starting
> Dovecot, I
> 	do a 'plimit -n 8192, 8192 `cat /var/run/dovecot/master.pid`, which allows
> Dovecot
> 	to have 8192 filedescriptors. Timo, is it possible to introduce a config
> file option to
> 	configure the number of descriptors?

I'm pretty sure that'd be a solaris-specific hack which I don't really
want to do. I'd think there was a way to set the fd limit before
starting dovecot in the init script? ulimit -n?

> We have 2 namespaces in our setup: the default namespace and a namespace which
> location is set to ~/.Mailstorage. When not using a prefix in the email
> client setup, users
> can make new email folders in the default namespace and the 'Mailstorage'
> namespace.
> We want users only to create mail folders in the Mailstorage namespace, not
> in the default
> namespace. Questions:
>
> 	- Is it possible to force a prefix to clients?
> 	- If not, is it usefull to have an option in the namespace configuration
> that allows or
> 	disallows the creation of mail folder? If so: consider this as a feature
> request.

Sounds like an ACL feature, to be implemented later.. Or you could
remove write permission from the ~/.Mailstorage directory itself, if
that is possible. Other solutions would be modifying the sources or
writing a plugin.